It is a suburban school situated within 500m of a busy road, a shop, a taxi rank, bus stop, Secondary Schools and a Primary School. The immediate community status is in the high income group but the learners come from middle, low poverty stricken and unemployed communities.
In 1952 the Transvaal Department of Education decided that there should be a girls school to serve Waverley and its environs and that the Highlands North School would become a boys' school.
In January 1953 Waverley Girls' High School was born – at first a nameless infant. The 261 girls occupied 8 prefabs in a corner of the ground of the boys' school. Six months later the school moved to a home of its own – not a very grand home simply a new prefab building on the Northview site adjoining Balfour Park. The grounds were unfenced and stray cows roamed at will. The permanent building was ready for occupation in July 1954, and officially opened in March 1955 by the Administrator of the Transvaal, Dr W Nicol.
The years that followed have been years of steady progress marked not only by good examination results but also by improvements in school uniform, achievement on the playing fields, successful dramatic productions and growing interest in school societies. By the end of 1959 most of the essential ground development was complete: Waverley Girls' High School was on the map.
The founders of our school drew their inspiration from Sir Walter Scott in finding names for the school and for the six school houses. These they took from his novels and the long narrative poems he wrote.
Rob Roy was a fearless highland chieftain, Peverill of the Peak a stout cavalier, and Kenilworth tells of the Earl of Leicester – a very gallant gentleman. The dashing young Lochinvar, the proud Marmian and the able crusader, Ivanhoe, represent the flow of medieval chivalry as depicted by Scott.
Traditionally Waverley Girls' served a white community dominated by the Jewish culture with a mix of English, Italian, Lebanese and Portuguese girls.
At the time Waverley Girls' grew steadily in numbers as many parents wanted their daughters in a monastic school. There were not too many English High schools in existence as Sandown was established in 1970 and Wendywood High in 1987. Many girls were coming from the Halfway House region and a proper transport service for these pupils was in place. Once these schools were established the pupil numbers started to decline until the lowest enrolment was reached in 1991 with only 385 on the roll.
It was with the establishment of the Model C schools that things started to improve. Under the leadership of Mrs Button and the then Governing Body, it was decided to open the school to all races. Officially Waverley became a Model C school on the 1 April 1992.
It was a brave move and it resulted in numerous parents removing their girls from the school. In the long run it proved to be a visionary move. In the late 90's when many other schools battled through the transition period, Waverley had already transformed. During all these changes the school clung to its traditions and values built up through the years. Waverley Girls' High School is still making its mark and striving for the best interest of the learners.
|No.||Name||Period of service|
|1||Miss L. McDonald||1953 – 1963|
|2||Miss R. C. Cheeseman||1964 – 1976|
|3||Miss H. V. Kay||1977 – 1983|
|4||Mrs H. E. Button||1984 – 1993|
|5||Mrs A. C. Cereseto||1993 – 1997|
|6||Miss M C van der Krol||1998 – 2006|
|7||Miss C Tomaselli||2007 – 2013|
|8||Mr M. M Seopa||2014 - Current|